Manufacturing of High Volume Pattern & Core Boxes
Hitech Shapes & Designs, a division of Seilkop Industries, Inc. was contracted to handle an emergency situation for a customer in the automotive industry. Due to the inferior quality and unreliable delivery schedule of their current Asian supplier the company was facing an impending shut down of an engine line, and needed a high performing solution on an accelerated timeline. With mere weeks to build the tooling, we developed a temporary tooling solution for immediate part production, simultaneously fabricating the production tooling to meet the ongoing high volume production requirements of the part. Employing advanced vertical milling machinery, the Sinto/DISA pattern was precision machined from 4140, A2, D2, and A36 steels, cast iron, aluminum, and urethane materials. The tightest tolerances of ±0.0005” were held, achieving final part dimensions of 45" x 30" x 26". The mating and parting lines were scraped and finished by hand.
The produced tooling was thoroughly tested and inspected with dimensional and functionality methods. The tooling exhibited a 3.2 micron machined finish to a 1 micron hand finish. The unit was completed and shipped to the customer in Cincinnati, Ohio after a 3 week turnaround time. The line shut down was avoided, an outcome we are particularly proud of. For more information about this high volume automotive pattern and core box mold fabrication, or the other recognized capabilities available please see the table below or contact us directly.
( Click image to enlarge )
Hitech Shapes & Designs
Full List of Services >>Request a Quote >>
Highlights of this High Volume Pattern & Core Boxes Project
- Product Name
- Complex Pattern & Core Boxes
- Product Description
- Sinto/DISA Pattern 20" x 24" with Multiple Core Boxes
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Hand Finishing/Scraping and Mating of Parting Lines
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- CNC Vertical Milling Machine
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 45" x 30" x 26"
- Tightest Tolerances
- +/- 0.0005"
- Material Used
- 4140, A2, D2, A36, Cast Iron, Aluminum & Urethane
- Material Finish
- 3.2 Micron Machined to 1 Micron Hand Polish
- Additional Facts
- Temporary tooling was made for immediate production. Duplicate Production tooling made in tandem for ongoing production requirements.
- In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
- Dimensional Inspection, Functionality Testing
- Industry for Use
- Foundry Tooling
- N/A - Job Shop 1 Time Tooling
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 3 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D/3D CAD Drawing
View Other Showcased Projects >>
^ Back to Top